"For from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace." John 1:16

A place for us to document and share the grace upon grace we have received.


Monday, April 16, 2012

Halfway to Home


Before anyone criticizes my interpretation of the lyrics, I am fully aware that this song from Building 429, Where I Belong, refers to the fact that as believers, we are in a sense strangers here on Earth (Psalm 119:19 and 1 Peter 2:11). Our home is in heaven so Earth is not where we belong in the eternal sense. However, since these song lyrics are not the inspired Word of God unlike Scripture, I am going to take some liberties and twist its meaning to suit my own state of mind at the moment. I officially hit the halfway mark in Afghanistan today! That being said, I can definitely say consistent with the chorus of this song that Afghanistan is fortunately not my home!

"All I know is I'm not home yet
This is not where I belong
Take this world and give me Jesus
This is not where I belong"

We will no doubt look back on this experience as one of the best of our lives. After all, Amy and the kids are headed back home to San Antonio on Wednesday, which in all likelihood would not have happened absent my deployment. Similarly, I belong at home with Amy and the kids (not Afghanistan!) and am looking forward to a safe return in only another 3 months!

Here’s to halfway home!

John

No comments: