"For from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace." John 1:16

A place for us to document and share the grace upon grace we have received.


Thursday, March 15, 2012

Unbroken


One of the books I just finished reading was Unbroken. This is the story of track star Louie Zamperini who competed in the 1936 BerlinOlympics. While training for the 1940 Olympics in Tokyo, WWII broke out and Zamperini became a lieutenant in the Army Air Corps, ending up being a prisoner of war after his plane was shot down over enemy waters. Our team has been passing it around, and I finally got my chance to read it this weekend. I was so captivated by the story that I spent virtually all of Saturday afternoon and into the wee hours of the morning reading it in a single sitting (and I am a slow reader). I won’t spoil it for those of you who might be so inclined to pick it up and read it, but as the subtitle says, it’s a story of “survival, resilience, and redemption”. As you know from my previous posts, I am sucker for inspirational real life stories. This book certainly fits in that genre of war stories and one of the best I’ve read. As Paul explains in Romans 1:20, even non believers are aware there is a God and instead suppress the truth. This was true for Louie Zamperini as there is nothing like near death experiences that awaken that reality even in the most hardened of hearts. So, for any of my non believing friends who might follow the blog regularly and be so inclined to read the book, be forewarned…it might change your life! Speaking of which, I had a sense of de ja vu while reading the book but couldn’t remember where I heard a reference to his story. Amy reminded me that Pastor Blakey alluded to his story during one of his sermons awhile back. Perhaps I will find it in one of my 53 remaining sermon podcasts! If there are any BF readers out there who have a specific date in mind, please let me know.

John

2 comments:

Mom/Connie said...

I just finished this book. Thanks so much for sending it to me! You're right; it was great!

Maria M said...

John,
I read this book a while back and thought it was amazing! I have a serious love affair with books! Hope you are well and we all can't wait until you are home safely.